Saturday, August 19, 2006

MOVIE: Paradise Now


We watched Paradise Now recently. Heavy. It's about two Palistinian friends who choose to go on a suicide mission in Israel. I recommend watching it.

We also recently joined Netflix on a minimalistic plan. Our first movie, Why We Fight, will be arriving soon. Travis recommended it.

Al Gore has put together a nice PowerPoint presentation on global warming--An Inconvenient Truth. I really appreciated it. As did my wife and a close friend from Kond Hattor. Quality.

Also recommended by Travis, Go Further with Woody Harrelson. We watched it. It was okay, but failed to live up to its potential. I didn't realize Woody was into environmental issues--organic food, alternative fuels, worm tea, etc.

Charissa and I are talking about starting a social conscious movie night once a month or some other regular frequency. Movies like the ones listed above and Hotel Rwanda and The Conscientious Objector and Born into Brothels and Bowling for Columbine and Osama and Dying to Live and Lost Boys of the Sudan and Crash and Dumb and Dumber. Come on over.

A good church family/community is proving difficult to find. We've been looking for a home church. I realized today as I walked out of one that I can't join a church that I can't bring friends to. That is, I can only join a church family that I would want to bring my non-SDA and non-Christian friends to. Maybe we could start The Church of the Screen and just watch movies in our home-church and discuss them with a Bible study afterward for Sabbath School.

It feels good to blog again.

3 comments:

Wishydig said...

Jeff I'm not sure how you overlooked this but I think one of your movies does not quite fit on that list.

It seems to me that a movie about a bunch of adolescent male vampires running around doesn't have much to do with being socially conscious.

Angela said...

i'd come over for church any time. but i may skip the week with the vampire boys.

Jeff said...

I'm very inclusive. I love everyone, even vamps from Sudan. Peace