Thursday, July 31, 2008

|War on Terror

We have now watched 4 of the 5 films on my Iraq/war-on-terror wish list.
  1. No End in Sight (2007). Last night we watched this interesting little Oscar-nominated flick. Rather than focus on the tricks that got us into Iraq, it looks at the administration blunders that fueled the insurgency.
  2. Why We Fight (2005). This is probably my favorite analysis of the current factors in U.S. militarism. It made my list of Eight Most Important Documentaries for U.S. Viewers.
  3. Uncovered: The War on Iraq (2004). This primarily investigates the propaganda lead-up to the invasion of Iraq.
  4. Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004). Again, this points the spotlight on the path to Iraq, but also includes other elements. While some argue it is heavy on hype, future investigations (see the other docs with more interview footage of key players) showed he was on to something.
The last film on my list is the Oscar winning Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) that looks at the death of a detainee at Bagram Air Base (Wikipedia). Netflix patrons will have to wait until September of this year to view it.

There are many more films on this topic, but I have other subjects of interest to follow as well.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, I can only handle one or two of those documentaries a month. I'm trying to cut down on cynicism and I find that difficult when I'm watching scary movies about the world!

I'm planning on watching Sicko sometime this week though. Speaking of dicumentaries, did you see Jesus Camp? I've heard a lot of feedback from atheists but none frmo Christians!

Jeff said...

One year for Lent, my sister gave up cynicism. I couldn't go 40 days without it. I'm too weak. So I applaud your priorities.

And watching these 4 films (plus others on the topic) were spread over at least 2 years. Only No End in Sight was viewed recently.

Good luck remaining positive and upbeat after watching Sicko. At least you can say, "Those crazy Americans. They're got some interesting priorities. Why do they put up with that? Why don't the customers revolt? Oh well, it's their problem."

Jesus Camp. Yes, I saw it. Spooky. You can read my short response here.

What did you think of it? Feel free to respond here or on that post if you are inclined to share your reaction.

Helen said...

How do you give up cynicism? I wouldn't know where to start! Jesus Camp scared me a lot - partly because I grew up going to camps that were a lot like that! Admittedly I was much older than the kids (the one that leaps to mind in one that I attended as a teenager) and I remeber thinking that everything was ok. I worry that it's unintentional brainwashing from perfectly well-meaning people.

I also felt so sorry for the children that couldn't live normal lives. I mean going to school, and getting in trouble and exploring the truth by finding out what's out there and what other people think and then making a decision. I grew up in a family that was always very religious, but I was always encouraged to ask questions. and read and research things that itnerested me so that when the time came I could make an informed decision. I've never really thought about how lucky I am that I was raised to have faith, but also taught to think.

It also upset me that one of the camp counsellors was south african. And the whole abortion thing was horrible! Children that age should be taught that life is special and sacred and should be valued. The ugly things that people do when they don't believe that should not be forced into the minds of little kids.

Jeff said...

"I've never really thought about how lucky I am that I was raised to have faith, but also taught to think." That is a blessing. Though it doesn't sound like everyone appreciates your questions and conclusions. Good stuff.

Now I wonder if it was "negativity" that my sister gave up. I wouldn't know how to give up either one! Maybe I can get her to tell us her story.

Helen said...

Please try! I would be very interested to hear (read) it!

Jeff said...

Okay, Helen, I just posted my sister's story of Lent from a few years ago. Good stuff.

Jeff said...

This weekend we watched War Made Easy. It looks at the interplay between presidents and the press when preparing U.S. citizens for war. It is a film version of Solomon's book by the same name.