Friday, November 07, 2008

|Christmas Options (updated 11/9/08)

You have at least 3 options for how to approach gifts during the upcoming Christmas season:

1. Buy nothing
--Buy Nothing Christmas '08 (related: Buy Nothing Day)
--Advent Conspiracy (also at Imago Dei)

2. Buy from an NGO gift catalogue
--ADRA
--World Vision
--Heifer International

3. Buy stuff for me (listed by alpha order within each category, more-or-less)

Music
--All Rebel Rockers (Michael Franti)
--Deconstruction (Justin McRoberts)
--Fight with Tools (Flobots)

Magazines
--Geez
--Prism
--Sojourners
--Third Way
--yes!

Films
--A Force More Powerful: A Century of Nonviolent Conflict
--The Corporation
--The Future of Food (2-disc special edition)
--The Ordinary Radicals
--War Made Easy

Books
--And You Call Yourself a Christian (Lupton)
--Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire (Walsh & Keesmat)
--Disruptive Religion (Smith)
--For the Beauty of the Earth (Bouma-Prediger)
--I am Not a Social Activist (Sider)
--I Pledge Allegiance (Phillips & Tsatalbasidis)
--Jesus Wants to Save Christians (Bell & Golden)
--Just Peacemaking (Stassen)
--The Peacemaking Remnant
--The Poverty and Justice Bible
--Seventh-day Adventists in Time of War (Wilcox)
--Simply Christian (Wright)
--Waging Nonviolent Struggle (Sharp, etc.)
--War is a Force That Give Us Meaning (Hedges)

4. BONUS

Get together with some friends, do some singing, eat some figgy pudding, shovel someone's sidewalk, and cuddle up to watch What Would Jesus Buy? from Netflix. I guess this is getting close to #1.

4.2. BONUS

Or get me a shirt from 1844. Ha! (Thanks for the heads-up, Barber Banter)

5 comments:

*PrairieGirl* said...

might i add #5?
Buy Handmade, or even better, make your own!

http://www.buyhandmade.org/why-buy-handmade

*dana

kayla said...

i am afraid to sing about figgy pudding since i got stuck in that elevator back at UC...

Jeff said...

You could give homemade figgy pudding!

Kayla, I read your story again recently in Swimming against the Current. That must have been crazy! It reminds me of the subway in Japan.

In line with Dana's thoughts, check out Etsy. Dana was the one who first introduced me.

Charissa is currently making a rug out of our old worn-out clothes. She cut the clothes into strip, which she sewed together end to end and then braided into a long rope. She is now coiling the rope and sewing it together as she goes.

Dear Reader, what can you make for someone this Christmas?

Helen said...

I make some pretty intricate bead stuff, although in the last few years I haven't ahd time and have reverted back to buying stuff... There was a years or two where I don't think I bought a gift for any of my friends, but rather made them personalised bead keyrings, some of which are still in use!

sorry for not helping you out on the whole election issue, I didn't have the greatest internet connection and it was hard for me to do anything blog-related...

Jeff said...

I want to see your bead-work, Helen. Any pictures online?