Friday, October 28, 2005

PERSONAL: Strength & Weakness

To make something stronger, make it weaker. To make something weak, first make it strong.

I've heard it put other ways in Taoist writings, but that's my basic idea tonight. I thought about that when I was reading Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. The Mongols were the minority, but they were able to rule the largest empire in Earth's history through wisdom. They made their opponents feel strong, then the enemies would make predictable mistakes, and the Mongols would then wipe them out.

I feel like God has been wiping me out to make me stronger. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes (cleans) so that it will be even more fruitful. (John 15:2) He prunes us so we can be more fruitful for Him. Cuts us down so in weakness we can be strong for Him.

My life is basically pruned down to the minimum right now. I hope some fruit will be forthcoming. Almost 2 months of neck problems have pretty much shut down the normal parts of my life. It's for a reason. It's for a reason.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

If you need motivation to pack light, first carry a heavy load.

No comments: