Wednesday, June 14, 2006

BOOKS: Top 15 Christian Books (?)

Here's a list of my top 15 books about the Christian adventure. There's no way to rank these because everyone needs a different part of the message at different times. But to me, this list gives a pretty holistic reading on this faith journey. It's what works for me.

And, honestly, three of the books have not been read in their entirety by me, though this list does reside in a collection of boxes in a certain basement in Michigan.

1. The Bible (God & a bunch of people)
2. The Desire of Ages (Ellen White)
3. Steps to Christ (Ellen White)
4. What's So Amazing about Grace? (Philip Yancey)
5. Velvet Elvis (Rob Bell)
6. It's about People (Jim Hohnberger)
7. Come to the Quiet (Jim Hohnberger)
8. Blue Like Jazz (Donald Miller)
9. Searching for a God to Love (Chris Blake)
10. The Irresistible Revolution (Shane Claiborne)
11. The Revolution (Jim Wallis...)
12. The Pursuit of Holiness (Jerry Bridges)
13. Mere Christianity (C. S. Lewis)
14. The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel)
15. Basic Christianity (John Stott)

Tell me why this list works or does not work for you.
Convince me to change it.
What else do you suggest, or implore, that we read.
Is anyone surprised that Pilgrim's Progess isn't listed? I am. It should be, you know.
I don't have anything about science or archaeology or church history or...
What else?
Make me change this into a TOP 20.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man I think you've got a good list going. Personally I think that everyone should read through the Alcoholics Anonymous "Big Book". God definately moves in that book. Also, "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller is good too.