Monday, June 12, 2006

EVENTS: The Extended Weekend


"No, honey, we have to eat first. Then we can dance!" I overheard a mom telling her daughter that at the Taste of Ft. Collins on Sunday.

Four of us had a grand time checking out art booths, tasting Ft. Collins, and rockin' with the Bodeans. Oh yes, we are in fact nothing but crazy.

Sabbath was great. Spent some time trapsing around the hills above Estes Park.

But tonight was the main event. Not the part when I locked myself out of the house. Before that we watched MURDERBALL. This is one documentary that you've got to see (Rated R for language and sexual content). It was especially powerful for me right now since I've heard words like paralysis and vertebral surgery in the past few months.

Here's the first couple paragraphs to an article about Zupan and Murderball:

NEW YORK — Mark Zupan swigs beer. Spews out four-letter words. Sweats up a storm in the gym. Wrestles with his dog. Has crowd-surfed at a Pearl Jam show. And enjoys an active sex life with his live-in girlfriend, Jessica Wampler.

Oh yeah, and he happens to be a quadriplegic who has been in a wheelchair since he was 18. That was when he was thrown from the bed of the pickup of his best friend, Christopher Igoe, and broke his neck.

For the rest of the article click here: USA TODAY.

And then please read this one: The scrum rebellion. Really. Do this one for me. Here are a few excerpts:

"My dad was like, 'I would trade anything for me to be in that chair rather than you'. And I said, 'Did you ever think this was a REALLY GOOD thing that happened?' And that's when it clicked."

He wasn't always so positive; the first two years were hell.

And now? "As time goes on, you become comfortable with who you are," he says. "I am not going to lie to you about the time when I might say I wish I could play a round of golf with my mom and my dad and my brother. But would I change it so that I could? No. I am content."

The Movie: www.murderballmovie.com
The Movement: www.quadfather.net
The Texas Stampede: www.fearthesteer.com
The Clothes: www.gimpapparel.com



6 comments:

Angela said...

eat, dance. dance, eat. it's all necessary.

i'm jealous that your saw murderball. i remember the previews from born into brothels.
i'll put it on my list of things to do when i get home. hey! maybe we can watch it all together before i head back here (if i head back).

zmjog (a cross between zooming and jogging)

Jeff said...

Definitely. We'll have a MURDERBALL FEST. You just can't help but love these bad boys. Seriously impressive. My attitude needs an immediate overhaul. Jeff. deal with it. Move on. Make the most of what you've got.

Anonymous said...

what about me? I guess I'll download it.

The International Chef of Mystery said...

Too bad for you, Travis.

Anonymous said...

HSTHU!!!!

Anonymous said...

jeff you've got to check this guys photos. http://brentkirkwood.com/

have fun